Friday, April 29, 2005

Chess is Hard

So my two wins from this month's tournament turn out to be more complicated than I thought, and I haven't finished analysing them yet. Games _usually_ turn out to be more complicated than I first thought.

In the meantime, here's one more Henri Rinck composition from the little book I've been carrying around. White to play and win (from "O'pinio" 1934). Solution is a couple of paragraphs down.

What, are you kidding? Of course I didn't solve it. Chess is hard!

Solution: 1.Qb6+ Kb4 2.Qa5+! Kc5 (if 2...Kxa5 3.Nc6#) 3.Qc3+ Kd5 4.Qc6+ Ke5 (4...Kxd4 5.Qd6#) 5.Qe6+ Kf4 6.Qf6+ Kg3 7.Qh4+! Kxh4 8.Nf5#. Notice the really nifty echo of the mate in the note to Black's second move.

I'll try to get a game posted on the weekend.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?